Friday, May 2, 2014

Brendan Turns 2 years old Today -A Letter from Mommy (May 2nd, 2014)

                 
    
          I can’t believe I am sitting here writing you a letter on your 2nd birthday. As with your first year, your second year has just flown by so fast. It makes me sad how fast you are growing up, but I’m loving every second of watching you grow. A week after your first birthday you went from learning to crawl for a total of 7 days to just standing up and going straight to walking.  You then became an Olympic runner, a professional climber to letting yourself up the stairs and to getting into all sorts of trouble. You then thought it was funny to walk around with your eyes closed which lead to many bumps and bruises all over your body. You were the baby who didn’t move to now you’re the toddler who won’t sit still. It is so funny how fast things change.

         A month after you turned 1 you were diagnosed with autism. Most kids who are 13 months old get to play all day and just be exploring toddlers. You were faced with a schedule that most adults couldn’t handle. You have to work so much harder than any other child your age. You are being dragged to countless doctor appointments, enduring up to 46 hours of therapy per week but you have taken all of these challenges and made them part of your life. You have made autism your superpower! Your strength has impacted so many people. You have taught me to look at life so differently. You have made me a better mom, wife, daughter and friend.  I have worked really hard this year to make sure that I have been your voice. Let me tell you my voice has been heard! Thank you for teaching me what true strength is, you are a fighter and you have made my heart fuller.
         You have developed such an amazing personality. Your organization, climbing and determination are the perfect recipe for laughter! No matter where we are you know how to get everyone to focus on you. Whether it’s your blonde spiky hair, your blue eyes or your skills with the IPad. You are so smart; your mind is always trying to figure things out. Even though you are non verbal you always find a way to get everything you want or need. You amaze others around you on how you communicate without words. When you want something you love to give kisses because I think you think that works best, and it does.
         You are 100% a momma’s boy and I love every second of it. Your favorite word is “momma”. You love your trains, puzzles, cars, tv, swinging, bubbles, farm animals, trampoline, running and climbing.  You also love being with daddy when he has his tools out. You LOVE being outside and you always want your sister to come and play with you. Not a day goes by when you don’t require a good soak in the bathtub. I have nicked named you the monster because you have NO FEAR. You make everyone around hearts stop because you do the scary things. I have learned to stop worrying and have accepted its what you love to do. Everyone tells me its part of having a boy!
You have so many limits when it comes to food but you somehow seem to still be in the highest percent of weight for your age. It truly stuns all your doctors how solid you are. You are obsessed with your chips, dried snap peas and your mum mum’s. I don’t leave the house without those in my bag. I wish I could eat as healthy has you do! Someday I will join you.  
Today is your birthday but to you it is just another day.  To me it is a day that has forever changed me. Thank you for coming into this world and making everyone around remember what life is all about. I love you more than words can express!
        
         Love,
         Mommy
PS. Even though you have no idea it is your birthday we are still celebrating like every other child does! Someday you will understand what all this excitement is!
Brendan saying the "s" sound
 
Brendan saying the number 9 & bye bye


No comments: