Saturday, December 14, 2013

Dec 2nd-Dec14th Brendan is now 19 months



         Wow I can't believe it is the middle of December already. Life is so chaotic and busy right now I have found myself not remembering what day or week it is. I have been spending every free second I get on reading through all the research I received from the Emily Center. This research will be a big part of proving my case to the state. Brendan has been busy the last 2 weeks. The week of December 2nd he was back at SARRC doing another research. It was only 3 days long nothing to intense and all went well. That same week we took Brendan and Haley to an event by the Greater Phoenix Autism Society. They had a autism friendly event at the movie theater. The kids got to see Santa and then they showed the movie Frozen. They made sure the lights were dimmed but not to dark for the kids and then they had the sound at a volume that the kids could handle. It was really neat to be around other autistic families. Most of us don't even have to talk to each other, we just look at each other and you just feel that connection. Brendan didn't stay for the movie because it was way past his bed time but Haley got to stay and enjoy the movie with other siblings. Haley hasn't been to a movie since before Brendan was born so she really thought this was special.
       Later that week Brendan got to make his 1st TV appearance. Our family felt extremely honored that they chose Brendan's story to share. I can only hope that his story touched other families. Plus Brendan looked so cute on tv you couldn't help but watch him.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9bXJCXxdJs&sns=em

    Brendan made some huge progress this last week. He had some mornings that he actually slept in until 6, 6:30. On Monday morning Brian went and got Brendan and brought him to me so I could snuggle with him in my bed. Brendan actually found the remote for the tv on my bed and put it in my hand after he put it in my hand he POINTED to the tv. You all have no idea how exciting this was. We have been working on him trying to point for the last 8 MONTHS. I was screaming with excitement and of course Brian is like you better turn the tv on now. lol. I was just so excited that I didn't even think to turn it on. But I did and I had a happy little boy. I was giddy all day and smiling from ear to ear. These are the things that I used to take for granted. Now I can't even explain the joy it brings to me. He has since pointed at the tv 2 other times. However he is only doing it about 40% of the time so he is close but not close enough to say he is actually pointing. So we are working really hard to get him to do it all the time. He also this week started to wave  ,"hi & bye." Well sort of he will keep his hands down by his side and just slowly open and close his hands. It is so cute when he does it. We don't get to practice it much because every time I say,"bye bye" he starts to cry because he thinks I am leaving. He is SUCH a momma's boy! In this video you have to watch closely but he moves his hands a little.
Brendan has had a nasty little cold the last couple days so I am trying to get him to rest this weekend because next week is an even crazier week. We are putting 2 weeks of therapy into one because he wont have any therapy the week of christmas. He is also getting new speech & occupational evaluations next week. I have to get these on my own to add to my appeal for the state.

Brendan has been obsessed with watching, "Mickey Mouse Christmas," he is trying to say,"Santa, but it sounds like Danta."

       

No comments: